Exam Board: AQA
This is equivalent to an AS qualification.
What is an Extended Project?
The EPQ is a project based qualification worth around half an A Level, and also contributes to UCAS points. Students select their own project, based around either something they are passionate about, or something they are studying. The submission could be either a report, essay, creative artefact or an event or performance. This is a highly rated qualification by universities as it recognises a students ability to work independently on a topic of their choice.
What skills are required?
Students who undertake the Extended Project will need to be able to identify, design, plan and complete an individual project.
You will need to be able to use a range of skills to solve problems, make decisions and be creative and flexible to achieve the planned outcomes. You will also need a good range of communications skills.
Students are required to:
- Choose an area of interest
- Draft a title and the aims of the project for formal approval
- Plan, research and carry out the project
- Deliver a presentation
- Provide evidence of all stages of project development and production for assessment
The areas of the project are:
- Manage - Identify, design, plan and carry out a project, applying a range of skills, strategies and methods to achieve its objectives.
- Use Resources - Research, critically select, organise & use information and select and use a range of resources. Analyse data and apply relevantly and demonstrate understanding of any links, connections and complexities of the topic.
- Develop and Realise - Select and use a range of skills including, where appropriate, new technologies and problem-solving, to take decisions critically and achieve planned outcomes.
- Review - Evaluate all aspects of the extended project, including outcomes in relation to stated objectives and own learning and performance. Select and use a range of communication skills and media to present evidenced project outcomes and conclusions in an appropriate format.
How will it be assessed?
- Use Resources
- Develop and Realise
The EPQ links well with all subjects and can be used as an additional qualification to access Russell Group universities in particular.